Position: Career Navigator Salary Grade: 3
Position Class: Learned Professional Supervises: N/A
Reports to: Director of Professional and Jewish Community Services FLSA: Exempt
JVS is a non-profit, non-sectarian agency. Our mission is to empower individuals from diverse communities to find employment and build careers, and to partner with employers to hire, develop and retain productive workforces.
JVS provides a broad range of services including adult education, skills training, job readiness training, job placement and support, and access to post-secondary education. JVS assists employers in their search for well-qualified job applicants and their initiatives to upgrade the skills of their incumbent workforce.
This Career Navigator works on a partnership initiative called “Ready for Success” with Jewish Family Service of Metrowest (JFS) and Jewish Vocational Service (JVS) and funded by Combined Jewish Philanthropies (CJP).
This position is a part-time, benefitted 21 hour per week exempt position. The position may require the career navigator to work up to 20 hours per month in our Boston office, with the remaining time in the JFS/MW office in Framingham. Occasional evening hours are required.
As a key member of the Professional Services team, the Career Navigator delivers innovative, customer-focused, and technology-driven career services to job seekers and actively engages employers leveraging both personal outreach and existing employer relationships of the JVS Business Services team. The navigator, in collaboration with the team, will assist job seekers from diverse backgrounds and levels of experience to conduct successful job searches and obtain employment through both 1:1 career/job search coaching and group workshops that incorporate best practices in adult education and training and advance the use of technology in the job search. This position is results driven and staff will be evaluated on reaching established benchmark metrics.
Essential Job Functions:
Accountability and Results Focused:
– Assist job seekers in goal setting, identifying barriers and mapping out a plan leading to job placement, skills upgrades and career advancement
– Understand and apply knowledge of internet and social media resources for job seekers
– Provide high quality customized 1:1 job search coaching including interviewing, self-marketing strategies, and social media for job seekers and career changers
– Deliver professional quality workshops and facilitate job search groups that demonstrate knowledge of adult education techniques and utilize technology for maximum engagement
– Understand and apply knowledge of local and national labor market trends to assist job seekers to identify career opportunities
– Participate in meetings and planning sessions with JVS staff to monitor services and implement strategies to improve performance and delivery of services
– Actively develop, engage, and maintain employer relationships
– Establish, track, and meet program dashboard indicators using database software
– In conjunction with JFS staff: screen, interview and accept candidates into the “Ready for Success” program based on agreed-upon criteria.
– Conduct 1:1 meetings with clients assessing their needs through interview, observation and examination of records and Refer appropriate clients for adjunct services including financial and legal consultation.
Build relationships, collaboration and teamwork:
– Support and promote the mission and philosophy of JVS both internally and outside the agency.
– Function as part of both the Professional Services team and the larger JVS CareerSolution team to provide high quality employment services.
– Actively develop positive and productive new employer relationships in MetroWest.
– Conduct on-going job development and job referral activities by cold calling employers, attending job fairs, technology searches (LinkedIn, company sites, etc.), utilizing contacts from JFS/MW via board of directors, colleagues at JVS CareerSolution, CJP and all-JVS employment staff.
– Interact in a team environment and establish and maintain harmonious working
relationships with key stakeholders (participants, partner organizations, funders,
– Work effectively with other program and administrative staff
– Attend and actively participate in staff meetings and team-based projects.
– Represent JVS externally to partners, funders and others regarding Ready for Success and the CJP Anti-poverty program
– Demonstrate a professional demeanor with strong customer service skills
– Communicate effectively verbally and in writing with compassion and professionalism.
– Exercise discretion in handling confidential information
– Participate in meetings, in-service trainings, team-based projects, committees
– Understand and promote the best practices of JVS CareerSolution
– Communicate regularly with Supervisor to ensure smooth delivery of services.
– Perform other duties as assigned or requested.
MINIMIUM QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
4 years of experience in the workforce development/ job search/career coaching/recruiting/ field with excellent knowledge of coaching tools and strategies.
Knowledge of web-based job search resources and techniques required
Experience in recruitment, job development desired.
Strong Microsoft Office Suite skills required.
EDUCATION REQUIRED: BA/BS in related area (Employment Coaching/Career Counseling, Human Resources, Psychology, Social Work, or Education) or at least 4 years’ experience.
Accountability and Results focused
Adapting to Change
Building Relationships, Collaboration and Teamwork
Cultural Competency and Respect
Demonstrated expertise in producing professional-level resumes
Proficiency in designing/adapting and presenting workshops and group programs on career-related topics
Tracking program progress and reporting
Multiple concurrent tasks
Analysis of statistical and financial data
Special Work Conditions:
This position is a part-time, benefitted 21 hour per week exempt position. The position may require the Career Navigator to work up to 20 hours per month in our Boston office, with the remaining time in the JFS/MW office in Framingham. Occasional evening hours are required.
JVS Culture: JVS is strongly committed to diversity and a workplace environment that respects, appreciates and values employee differences and similarities. By providing and supporting a work culture that fosters and builds upon diversity and its strengths, JVS will better serve our local communities and continue to provide quality services.
JVS is an employment at-will organization and an equal opportunity employer committed to maintaining a work and learning environment free from discrimination on the basis of sex, race, color, religion, national origin, pregnancy, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital/civil union status, ancestry, place of birth, age, citizenship status, veteran status, political affiliation, genetic information or disability, as defined and required by state and federal laws. Additionally, JVS prohibits retaliation against an applicant or employee because he or she has engaged in protected activity under the statutes prohibiting discrimination in the workplace.